Re: Rad Sources for Workshops

>From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

>Actually, domestically-produced smoke detectors are usually distributed as

>items exempt from regulation, thus the end user can technically do anything

>they want with them, but I would recommend strongly AGAINST taking them

>apart, as with one microcurie of activity, they contain about 167

>stochastic

>ALIs.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf57.htm

Even swallowing the radioactive material from a smoke detector would not

lead to significant internal absorption of Am-241, since the dioxide is

insoluble. It will pass through the digestive tract, without delivering a

significant radiation dose. (Americium-241 is however a potentially

dangerous isotope if it is taken into the body in soluble form. It decays by

both alpha activity and gamma emissions and it would concentrate in the

skeleton.)

Regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you.  When the driver a

half-car-length in front of you signals to get over, slow down.  Smile and

say "hi" to the folks you pass on the sidewalk.  Give blood.  Volunteer.

http://www.hotmail.com