RE: Hanford and the HTDS

Thank you Jim for the county correction and the other clarifications.

I understand the downwind reasoning (no Sternglass statistics). If Okanogan

and Ferry are "control counties" this makes sense  - and also explains why

Grant and Douglas were excluded as they are roughly between Benton and

Okanogan).

Best regards - personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

PS. I have a vague memory that someone mentioned much more than a thousand

locals were moved from Hanford in the 1940:ies. This would not be good as a

formal reference - it is just in one of my notebooks that I don't have

available at this time of writing - someone told me this - probably at

Hanford (in 1982).

The Hanford Reservation is in the northeast corner of Benton County.  Adams,

Franklin, and Walla Walla counties are across the Columbia River,

immediately to the northeast, east, and southeast of the reservation. They

are the downwind counties. Yakima county is west of the reservation and

upwind. Okanogan, Ferry, and Stevens counties are roughly 150-200 miles to

the north and north-northeast of the reservation and represent something

approximating control populations, with much lower exposures to the I-131

releases. They are dry, mountainous terrain, while the other counties are

semi-arid and mostly flat. If my memory serves, something less than a

thousand people were given two weeks to leave their homes and land in and

around the small towns of White Bluffs and Hanford.

http://www.hotmail.com