Re: Shipping Question

Title: Re: Shipping Question
Ed,

I assume that this was considered a hazardous/radioactive material for DOT purposes. Therefore, the two agencies involved would be the DOT or state group with DOT responsibility (Highway Patrol in California) and the agency(s) that granted the license (NRC or state). Additionally, there could be a charge lodged with the police for embezzlement (appropriation of property of another by a person to who has been given possession for safe keeping or transport).

If I were the shipper - under my license requirements I would make a telephone notification of the Department of Health Services Radiologic Health Branch that the event had occurred, provide details, tell them that the materials had been recovered and how, and ask for their guidance on other actions and reporting. I would tell everyone in agencies I can think of what happened. I did nothing wrong and not reporting could only be viewed as negative by the agency(s).

If I were the receiver - I would assure that the sender did the above. If they did not I would contact the state and discuss the event with them, provide details, tell them that the materials had been recovered and how, and ask for their guidance on other actions and reporting. Again, I did nothing wrong and not reporting could only be viewed as negative by the agency(s).

If I were the responsible person in the shipping company - they may have a duty to report to the DOT or state DOT agency. I would talk to the police about charges against the employee to demonstrate how seriously I am taking the incident. Again, because this was a singular bad act by an employee and not the courier company - tell everyone.

I hope that everyone would have surveyed the person who picked it up, gotten details and phone/address. (Perhaps a gift certificate for a free iodination or scan? - sorry, I just could not resist)

A final thought is were there other materials of concern that the driver may have appropriated and abandoned?

Paul Lavely
UC Berkeley
lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu

Here's a shipping question for those interested. (This is an actual
incident)

A licensed nuclear pharmacy uses a private courier service to deliver
(and retrieve) unit doses and vials of medical isotopes to licensed
hospitals outside of their normal service area.  An incident occurs
where the courier, on a return trip from the hospital back to the
pharmacy, deliberately abandons a box of this material in a parking lot.
 A member of the public finds the box, which is marked and labeled per
DOT, and contacts the hospital.  The box is eventually returned to the
pharmacy.  Management at the hospital, nuclear pharmacy and the courier
service are aware of the incident.

Here are the questions.  Should this incident be reported to the
authorities? Why/why not?  If yes, who do you think is responsible for
reporting this incident to the authorities - the hospital, because they
were the shipper; the pharmacy, because they paid for the courier
service; or the courier service, because their driver abandoned the
material. The hospital and the nuclear pharmacy have radioactive
materials licenses.

Comments/thoughts?

Ed Stroud
CDPHE