Re: Shipping Question

In a message dated 6/25/02 12:21:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time, ed.stroud@state.co.us writes:

Here are the questions.  Should this incident be reported to the
authorities? Why/why not?  If yes, who do you think is responsible for
reporting this incident to the authorities - the hospital, because they
were the shipper; the pharmacy, because they paid for the courier
service; or the courier service, because their driver abandoned the
material. The hospital and the nuclear pharmacy have radioactive
materials licenses.

Comments/thoughts?

Both the hospital and the pharmacy are doubtless NRC licenced.  The shipping manifest establishes a chain of custody, and presumably the receiver missed this particulaar box and would (or should) immediately have notified the shipper (I am assuming that everything else on the manifest was appropriately delivered, or that the receiver expected the shipment to arrive at a certain time.   Both shipper and receiver ought to report the incident to NRC.  In addition, simply because an item of some value was abandoned in a parking lot, I would think that the local police would be notified, especially if there is  evidence that the box was "deliberately abandoned" as you say.  I would think that both shipper and receiver would notify the courier service that it had failed to perform the task it had been paid to perform.

Except for the NRC requirements, this is just like the deliberate abandonment of any item that has been entrusted to a courier.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com