Re: Radon-222 and Radon-220 (thoron) Measurement and Action Level

I don't think that most passive track etch detectors will pick up thoron.

These detectors often require radon to diffuse through a membrane to get

into the active volume. Thoron would decay before it has a chance to get

into the detector.

Another question is whether a measurement of Rn-220, even if you could get

one, would have any relevance. You want to limit the dose. There are some

arguments that Rn-222 measurements are actually a better indicator of Rn-222

progeny dose than Rn-222 progeny measurements (has to do with where the

unattached fraction of Rn-222 progeny gets trapped in the lung). These

arguments do not apply to the dose from Rn-220 progeny. To get an estimate

of the dose from Rn-220 progeny, you have to measure Rn-220 progeny.

I can't think of a situation where you would be interested in a Rn-220

measurement (except for engineering control), but you might be interested in

a Rn-220 progeny measurement. For example, if you are working 5 minutes

downwind of a pile of thorium ore: There will be very little Rn-222 (none in

the ore) and very little Rn-220 (most of it decayed in 5 half lives), but

you would still get a big dose from Rn-220 progeny (half life ~ 12 hours).

Hope this helps.

Kai Kaletsch

Environmental Instruments Canada Inc.

http://www.eic.nu