RE: MEDHP-SEC: Re: Breast Cancer High in X-ray Techs Before1950

William H. Rollins was a Boston dentist who was a pioneer in

radiation protection.  His recommendation for shielded tube housing

was published in his book "Notes on X-Light", published in 1904.

Apparently the elimination of unshielded tubes and exposed cables

began in the World War I era, but was not completed until after

World War II.  Change can be agonizingly slow; I have witnessed

such during my career.  A dental example: ANSI speed group E

intraoral dental film was introduced in 1982.  An improved version

came some five years ago, and group F more recently.  Yet the

overwhelming majority of American dentists are still using D film,

which dates from the mid-fifties.  The medical analogy would be

continued use of par speed.  The newer films could reduce patient

exposure by 50-75% with no loss in diagnostic information.

Convesely, European dentists have adopted the new faster film.

Julian Gibbs

--On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 5:11 PM -0400 "Jacobus, John

(OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov> wrote:

> Ted,

> I am looking at Figure 11 in the article "X rays in diagnostic

> radiology" by Ed Webster that appeared in the November 1995 issue

> of Health Physics. It shows a "lead-shielded exclosure for an

> x-ray tube, desgined by H. Rollins for F. H. Williams."  The

> article states the Rollins was the first to design tube housings

> to reduce x-ray exposure to the patient and physician.

> My impression was that x-ray units was becoming common place in

> the 1920's

> -- John

> John Jacobus, MS

> Certified Health Physicist

> 3050 Traymore Lane

> Bowie, MD  20715-2024

> E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-1477

Professor, Emeritus

Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University Medical Center     Home: 615-356-3615

209 Oxford House        Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu

Nashville TN 37232-4245     or alias:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu