U.S. Senate bill to aid nuclear weapon detection

U.S. Senate bill to aid nuclear weapon detection

Greenpeace official opposes shipping MOX fuel to Britain

Delta Shuttle Welcomes Children of Chernobyl to the United States

FDA Grants TransMolecular Orphan Drug Designation for 131I-TM-601

==================================

U.S. Senate bill to aid nuclear weapon detection

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Legislation aimed at preventing terrorists

from smuggling a nuclear weapon into the United States was introduced

in the Senate Thursday by lawmakers who say current detection

capability at ports and borders is virtually zero.

The legislation would provide more than 100 new mobile X-ray scanning

devices, $250 million to develop technology to detect nuclear

materials, order more cargo inspections and stricter cargo reporting

standards, and impose bigger penalties for unreported cargo,

"Right now, our ability to detect nuclear weapons brought in through

our ports, bridges and tunnels is virtually zero," said Democratic

Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, a co-sponsor of the legislation.

"Once terrorists can get that kind of weapon right into the heart of

our cities, God only knows what could happen," he added.

The United States handles over 2 billion tons a year of domestic and

international freight, which is moved mostly in containers, but only

about 2 percent is inspected.

"Homeland security is the nation's top priority, and defending our

nation's 361 ports is essential," said Republican Sen. John Warner of

Virginia, the bill's other co-sponsor.

The legislation also calls for smart sensors that can track a cargo

container to determine whether anything has been added or changed

over the course of the trip.

Since the Sept. 11 hijack attacks, fears have grown that radical

groups could acquire nuclear materials to make dirty bombs, crude

devices using conventional explosives to spread radioactive material.

Two weeks ago, Attorney General John Ashcroft said U.S. authorities

foiled a plot to explode a dirty bomb in the United States after

arresting a suspected American al Qaeda operative in Chicago

allegedly helping plan such an attack.

------------------

Greenpeace official opposes shipping MOX fuel to Britain

TSURUGA, Japan, June 28 (Kyodo) - A top official in charge of nuclear

problems of the international environmental group Greenpeace said

Thursday in Fukui Prefecture Greenpeace will oppose the planned

shipping of plutonium-uranium mixed oxide (MOX) fuel from Japan to

Britain for security reasons.

Speaking inside Arctic Sunrise, a surveillance ship moored at a port

in Tsuruga on the Sea of Japan coast, Tom Clements said the return of

the fuel, currently stored at Kansai Electric Power Co.'s nuclear

plant in Takahama in the prefecture, to Britain by sea could entail

dangers such as terrorist attacks.

The fuel is being returned to Britain under a July 2000 agreement

between the Japanese and British governments stipulating British

Nuclear Fuels PLC would ship the fuel back at its own expense after

it was learned the company falsified manufacturing data for MOX fuel

shipped to Kansai Electric Power in 1999.

The revelation and ensuing scandal led Japan to indefinitely postpone

its plans to introduce MOX fuel and increased public opposition to

the ''pluthermal'' -- plutonium thermal -- energy plan.

Clements said, however, if the return of the fuel from Takahama goes

through, it would pave the way for the plan to be materialized.

Two ships are expected to leave for Britain with the MOX fuel at the

beginning of July.

According to Greenpeace, it and antinuclear organizations in the

prefecture will stage a joint protest against such transport on the

day of the ships' departure.

The project, in which MOX fuel is used in light-water reactors, is

the core of Japan's nuclear fuel recycling programs.

The Japanese government aims to have the pluthermal project launched

at 16-18 reactors by 2010, but plans have so far been foiled by

opposition from local residents in areas where the reactors are

located.

------------------

Delta Shuttle Welcomes Children of Chernobyl to the United States

BOSTON, June 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Shuttle today will

carry approximately 125 Russian children from New York to Boston in

support of the Chernobyl Children Project USA.

For the fifth consecutive year, the Delta Shuttle will transport the

eight to 15-year old children, their physicians and translators from

New York to Boston for a four-week stay with local "host" families.

During their visit, the kids will receive free medical treatment for

their radiation-related illnesses and participate in fun activities

sponsored by area clubs and organizations.

"Delta Shuttle is proud to help make a difference in the lives of

these children," said Maureen Brady, managing director -- Delta

Shuttle and Delta Express.  "Each year we are delighted to return

them to the caring environment the Boston community provides."

Delta Shuttle will fly the children and their chaperones back to New

York on July 25, 2002.

The Chernobyl Children Project USA, Inc. is a 501 (C) 3 non-profit

organization that provides respite and relief to the children

affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster of 1986.  Now in its

eighth year, the Chernobyl Children Project, USA has brought over 900

children to Boston with medical attention provided by the New England

Medical Center -- The Floating Hospital for Children.  For more

information about the Chernobyl Children Project, USA, visit

ccpusa.org.

-----------------

FDA Grants TransMolecular Orphan Drug Designation for 131I-TM-601 for

Use by Glioma Patients

BIRMINGHAM, Ala., June 27 /PRNewswire/ -- TransMolecular, Inc. today

announced that it has received Orphan Drug Designation

from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for its Investigational

New Drug, 131I-TM-601, to treat patients suffering from glioma, one

of the most deadly forms of brain cancer.

131I-TM-601 is a radiopharmaceutical anti-cancer drug containing a

synthetic version of a substance derived from scorpions called

chlorotoxin. The Food and Drug Administration approved

TransMolecular's IND application to begin a Phase I/II clinical study

of the

drug in humans in January 2002.

Last week, TransMolecular announced the start of a multi-center

clinical study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of a single

dose

of 131I-TM-601, as well as overall tumor response rate in an initial

study group of 18 patients.  In pre-clinical studies, TransMolecular

scientists determined that 131I-TM-601 was able to extend survival in

a mouse model that mimicked human brain tumors.

"We are extremely pleased by the FDA's action in granting orphan drug

designation for 131I-TM-601, an important step in bringing

this drug to market," says Matthew A. Gonda, Ph.D., TransMolecular

president and CEO. "Therapeutic options for glioma patients

are rather limited.  Orphan drug designation could greatly assist us

in the clinical development and marketing of our new drug

candidate for patients suffering from this devastating and deadly

disease."

TM-601 is based on chlorotoxin sequences that have evolved to

precisely locate and bind to their receptor, which is abnormally

expressed on tumor cells, but is not expressed on normal cells.  The

chlorotoxin sequences in 131I-TM-601 are the guidance

system that delivers 131I, the radioactive therapeutic payload, to

its target, precisely killing the tumor cells.  No toxicities have

been

observed with TM-601 administration in pre-clinical animal studies.

The Orphan Drug Designation is provided exclusively for products that

treat a disease affecting fewer than 200,000 persons in the

U.S., to encourage research and testing.  The scientific rationale

for use of the compound in treating the disease must also pass

FDA review.  Potential benefits from orphan drug designation include

seven years of market exclusivity upon marketing approval, tax

credits for related clinical research expenses, the availability of

grant assistance, and clinical development assistance from the FDA.

Glioma is highly invasive, sending cancerous cells throughout the

brain and spinal cord.  Surgical techniques fail to eradicate the

tumor and other adjuvant therapies are inadequate.  Brain cancers are

among the most difficult and expensive cancers to treat.  About

36,000 primary brain tumors are reported in the U.S. each year; of

these, more than 17,000 are diagnosed with high-grade gliomas.  About

half of these patients die within the first year, according to the

American Cancer Society.  There is a need for safe, more effective

treatments for glioma.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com