Re: dirty bomb

In a message dated 6/28/02 8:08:04 AM Mountain Daylight Time, blc+@PITT.EDU writes:

   How about terrorists dispersing a poison gas into the ventilation
system of large buildings, or into a basketball arena. They could kill a
lot more people that way, and a lot faster.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, J. J. Rozental wrote:

> Inadequate Control of World's Radioactive Sources
>
> The following is the initial paragraph of this topic published by the IAEA.
>
> "Vienna, 24 June 2002 -- The radioactive materials needed to build a "dirty
> bomb" can be found in almost any country in the world, and more than 100
> countries may have inadequate control and monitoring programs necessary to
> prevent or even detect the theft of these materials, the International
> Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says."
>
> Look at the site
>
> http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/P_release/2002/prn0209.shtml
>
> my comment:
>
> Many of these countries still use old sources, containing high activity,
> manufactured to standards lower than would be acceptable today. The
> radioactive substance in these sources is soluble salt which could readily
> disperse. It is not difficult to prepare a scenario for a dirty bomb using
> the mechanism system of a teletheraphy unit using Cs-137, as de one  in
> Goiania
>
> Jose Julio Rozental

When I was in Vienna in the winter of 1998, there was a made-for-TV movie on Austrian TV about exactly this kind of attack.  The burden of the plot was that a neo-Nazi terrorist group released some poisonous gas into the ventilating system while the Opernball was in progress (I believe this ball is held at the Staatsoper, but I don't remember).  In the movie, which incidentally was very well done, more than half of those attending the ball died from inhaling the stuff.  It was very dramatic. (and it was a whole lot better movie than Atomic Train or Atomic Twister).

Maybe it should be shown in the U. S. (with subtitles -- it's in German).

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com