In a Sign of the Times, the City Begins Deploying Radiation Detectors

In a Sign of the Times, the City Begins Deploying Radiation Detectors

Loads of Radioactive Berries Seized

Lieberman Recommends Technology Agency

Me and My Geiger Counter

In a Sign of the Times, the City Begins Deploying Radiation Detectors

NY Times  June 29 - As a part of the Police Department's new measures

to guard against potential terrorism, radiation detectors will be

installed outside several city buildings, Police Commissioner Raymond

W. Kelly said yesterday. City Hall will probably be among the

locations, he said.

The police department installed one of four of the new portable

detectors outside police headquarters in Lower Manhattan on Thursday,

and officials said another would be set up outside the building's

garage. The department's bomb squad and its emergency services unit

will use two others.

"There will be those sorts of devices in other city buildings, when

and where I can't tell you specifically, but clearly that is the goal

of the city administration," Mr. Kelly said, adding that City Hall

would probably get one.

The devices, which cost about $11,000 each, could help spot a so-

called dirty bomb, a conventional explosive wrapped in radioactive

material.

Such detectors, according to one official familiar with their use,

are already used in Washington, outside the White House and the

Capitol.

Yesterday, at 1 Police Plaza, some police officers, officials and

visitors passed through the unobtrusive detector unperturbed, but

others took notice. "It's kind of scary — it's a little too close for

comfort," one officer said.

But Mr. Kelly said prudence demanded the use of the devices, each of

which are anchored by a pair of black cylinders about 7 feet tall and

3 inches in diameter.

Several other officials in New York and Washington agreed with Mr.

Kelly.

"I think the kind of vigilance the Police Department is using is

right on target," Jerome M. Hauer, the director of the federal Office

of Public Health Preparedness at the Department of Health and Human

Services, said in a telephone interview. "As we continue to have

heightened concerns about potential threats in this country, I think

it's important to look at critical facilities like police

headquarters and use the best available technology to protect them."

Mr. Hauer, who was the director of the city's Office of Emergency

Management from 1996 to 2000 under Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, said,

"We have to be concerned about unconventional weapons, particularly

one that is not necessarily a weapon of mass destruction, but

certainly a dirty bomb is a weapon of mass disruption because of the

anxiety it creates."

He said such a bomb could sow panic by spewing radioactive material

and contaminating an area of several square blocks.

Police officials have said that the radiation detectors were bought

as a precautionary measure and that there had been no specific

threats that prompted their installation.

The devices, manufactured by a Longmont, Colo., company called TSA

Systems Ltd. and sold by Saint-Gobain Crystals and Detectors in

Solon, Ohio, were originally designed for use at nuclear power plants

and other nuclear facilities in case of accident, said Charlie

Schnurr, vice president of TSA Systems. The federal Emergency

Management Agency, in conjunction with the Nuclear Regulatory

Commission, required the installations, Mr. Schnurr said.

The detectors can be set up in just minutes and weigh 90 pounds each,

according to TSA's product information. They can be packed up into a

storage bag about 6 1/2 feet long and 1 1/2 feet wide.

They will supplement about 250 belt-worn radiation detectors that the

department also bought from Saint-Gobain, Mr. Kelly said. Those

devices are designed to form a sort of moving detection curtain so

that police officers can be on the street interacting with the public

as they seek to detect radioactive material.

Saint-Gobain's regional sales manager, Jim Mondine, said the larger

portable detectors could serve many purposes, not only for the city

and the Police Department, but also for the private sector. "These

would be ideal to set up, say, at Yankee Stadium at a baseball game,"

he said, "or in front of the New York Stock Exchange."

-----------------

Loads of Radioactive Berries Seized

MOSCOW (AP) - Nearly 1,500 pounds of berries from an area heavily hit

by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster were seized this month from

Moscow markets because of radioactive contamination, an official

announced on Friday.

The bilberries, akin to blueberries, were found to have 14 times the

acceptable levels cesium, said Yelena Ter-Markirosova, spokeswoman

for Radon, the capital's radiation-monitoring agency.

She said experts had confiscated 1,472 pounds of the berries - grown

in western Belarus - since June 18.

----------------

Lieberman Recommends Technology Agency

WASHINGTON (AP) - June 29 The Homeland Security Department will need

an alert and aggressive technology development agency that can come

up quickly with new security devices and systems, Sen. Joseph

Lieberman said Friday.

``We need dozens of new security technologies, and we need them

quickly,'' said Lieberman, D-Conn., who is working with the White

House to set up the new department.

Congress completed a week of hearings Friday on President Bush's plan

to merge 100 federal entities and 170,000 employees into a single

Cabinet department devoted to domestic security.

Congressional leaders, while rushing to pass early versions of the

plan by the end of July, have been suggesting modifications to

specifics among the White House's proposals.

Lieberman wants the department to have what he called the Security

Advanced Research Projects Agency, which would be modeled on the

Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

The Defense Department's agency was formed after the Soviet Union's

1957 launch of Sputnik, the first manmade Earth satellite, and

provided money and computers to facilitate U.S. scientists'

competition with their Cold War adversaries.

Money for the agency spurred creation of several commercial

technologies as well, including the Internet.

Lieberman wants the security research agency to do the same thing,

but for the defense of U.S. territory. He suggested agency scientists

might work on devices to detect chemical, biological, radiological

and nuclear weapons for border crossings, airports or seaports, or

buildings that could detect intruders and protect themselves from

sabotage.

``We know our enemies will do their worst to apply technology to try

and terrorize our people and disrupt our way of life,'' Lieberman

said. ``We have an urgent duty now to do our best to develop better

technologies to pre-empt, prevent and protect against even their most

advanced and unpredictable attacks.''

William Madia, director of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak

Ridge, Tenn., agreed with the necessity of an advanced research

agency in a Homeland Security Department.

``This program should be designed to close the gap between new ideas

and basic science advances and deployable solutions,'' Madia said.

They are already working on some new domestic defense ideas at Oak

Ridge, including a radiation sensor that could be placed on cell

phone towers to send early warning data to officials of biological or

chemical weapons use in urban areas.

The system was endorsed Monday by the House Appropriations Committee

with a $5 million commitment for testing.

Besides detecting poisons, sensors at each site could provide weather

information, such as wind speed and direction, that could help

predict the path of anthrax, radiation particles from a bomb or

lethal gases.

Any of the nation's 30,000 cell phone towers or 100,000 rooftop cell

phone relay stations could be used, Madia said.

``This is a good partnership between government needs and private

sector needs,'' Madia said.

On the Net: Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency:

http://www.darpa.mil/

Oak Ridge National Laboratory: http://www.ornl.gov/

-----------------

Me and My Geiger Counter

June 27 - NY Times - SHOULD I keep my Geiger counter running during

dinner? Will its constant clicking keep me up at night?

Those are the kinds of questions I've been asking myself since a

black plastic Geiger counter, a camera-size device designed to

measure gamma, alpha, beta and X-rays, arrived last week. All I had

to do was switch it on and set it on my dining table.

The clicks — about 10 per minute — announced the presence of

background radiation (generally considered harmless) in my Greenwich

Village apartment. In a nuclear emergency — an attack or a reactor

meltdown — the rhythm would become more urgent.

"At 100 clicks a minute, I'd start to worry," said Tim Flanegin of

Mineralab in Prescott, Ariz., who sold me the $279 unit.

Geiger counters, it seems, are the new Cipro. "Since 9/11, orders

have doubled," said Mr. Flanegin, whose company uses the Web address

www.geigercounters.com. Prices start at $170 for a kit and climb past

$900 for a particularly sensitive model.

The company's original customers were mineral collectors, Mr.

Flanegin said, "but then this whole other market developed." First

came Sept. 11, he said, and then another surge this spring, as

tensions rose between India and Pakistan, and the Justice Department

announced that it had foiled a plot to set off a crude radioactive

weapon — a "dirty bomb" — in the United States.

International Medcom, a manufacturer in Sebastopol, Calif., that also

sells units to the public at www.geigercounter.com, is having trouble

meeting demand, said its president, Dan Sythe. "We're hiring people

and trying to increase production," he said.

In my case, the decision to buy a counter followed a decision to buy

potassium iodide, a drug that reduces the chances of thyroid cancer

after exposure to fallout from a reactor. More than a dozen states

plan to distribute the drug to people near nuclear power plants. (I

live 40 miles from a nuclear plant, but the drug could also be useful

after a dirty-bomb attack.)

Once I got the pills — a three-month supply, available on the

Internet for $18 — I began wondering how I would know when it was

time to take them.

"The question is, do you trust the government to keep you informed?"

asked Lionel Zuckier, director of nuclear medicine at the New Jersey

Medical School in Newark. Even assuming a policy of full disclosure,

there might be delays — possibly breakdowns in communication — in

getting information to the public.

Debbie Baker, who lives near the nuclear power plant at Three Mile

Island in Pennsylvania, has kept a Geiger counter on her window sill

for 14 years.

In 1979, when an accident at the plant released radiation into the

atmosphere, Ms. Baker recalled angrily, "We didn't get information

for three days." At the time, she said she had a 9-month-old daughter

at home. The window-sill counter "represents peace of mind," said Ms.

Baker, who is president of a citizens' monitoring committee.

Not everyone, though, thinks the Geiger counter should take its place

alongside the home smoke detector.

David Allard, who oversees radiation-disaster preparedness for

Pennsylvania, advises against the purchase of personal Geiger

counters. For one thing, "you have to know how to interpret the

data," he said.

"If someone who had just ingested radioactive material in connection

with a medical procedure walked past your house, the thing

would start clicking like crazy," Mr. Allard said. "And there are

trucks that carry nuclear material in the normal course of things.

You'd be in a constant state of alarm."

For an actual emergency, "there are plans in place, response teams

that know what to do," he said. "The best thing is to turn on the

TV and follow official instructions."

Told of Mr. Allard's advice, Ms. Baker scoffed. She said her detector

is set to sound whenever radiation hits three times the

background level in her area, an event that she said typically occurs

once a year, after a heavy rainfall brings down naturally

radioactive dust.

So if a bona fide alarm went off, what then?

Dirty bombs, nuclear weapons and reactors present different issues,

of course. The Council on Foreign Relations, in an

encyclopedia of terrorism on the Web (www.terrorismanswers.com),

states, "In the case of a dust cloud thrown up by a dirty bomb,

experts stress the importance of prompt decontamination — taking off

outer layers of clothing and washing any exposed skin."

In the case of "penetrating radiation" like gamma rays or neutrons,

the site advises those affected "to minimize the duration of their

exposure by getting as far away from the radiation source as

possible."

In other words, act quickly.

Still, $279 is a lot to spend for an alarm that probably will never

sound. So what about some sort of communal early-warning system:

public Geiger counters transmitting data around the clock?

One such network, in central Pennsylvania, was installed in the early

90's by Ms. Baker's nonprofit group, the Three Mile Island

Citizens' Monitoring Network. It posts the readings at www.tmi-

cmn.org/map.htm, although Ms. Baker said that recent

thunderstorms had knocked out part of the system.

A larger network with 178 counters has been operating for more than a

decade in France, which relies heavily on nuclear power; it

can be monitored at www.opri.fr/html_opri/web_mesure_som.htm. About

eight years ago, the designers of the French system, called

Tιlιray, installed a unit atop a federal building at Varick and

Houston Streets in Manhattan for the United States Department of

Energy. The department has since added its own monitors at the site,

and posts results, updated every 15 minutes, at

www.eml.doe.gov/homeland.

Mitchell Erickson, director of the department's Environmental

Measurements Laboratory, said his agency was trying to secure $5

million to install some 30 monitors around the city. "We don't have

that kind of money in our budget," he said.

Dr. Zuckier of the New Jersey Medical School said he had proposed

such a system for the city over three years ago. Linked by the

Internet, the units could generate a kind of weather map of

radiation. But he said he got nowhere, in his view because officials

feared

that real-time information could cause panic. But that was before

Sept. 11. Francis McCarton, deputy commissioner of the city's

Office of Emergency Management, said this week: "We have a new

commissioner in place. We'd be happy to take a look at the

plan."

Dr. Zuckier's own demonstration unit, at Jacobi Hospital in the

Bronx, feeds data to a graph at www .awel.com/nyc. A disaster would

send the line on the graph shooting up, Dr. Zuckier said.

Certainly, during an emergency, the radiation monitor or its Internet

connection could fail. (Indeed, if the attack generated an

electromagnetic pulse, most Geiger counters would be rendered

useless. Some older models, including government surplus

counters, would probably survive a pulse, according to

Radmeters4U.com, a company that says it has 100,000 counters from the

60's and 70's at its warehouse in Gonzales, Tex.)

For a newer, PC-compatible model, Dr. Zuckier referred me to Brian

Boardman of Aware Electronics of Wilmington, Del., the

company that made the unit at Jacobi (www.aw-el.com). Aware's Geiger

counters lack dials or displays and feed information to PC's

instead. (Other companies make similar models for Macs, including

Black Cat Systems, which is online at

www.blackcatsystems.com.)

For $149, I ordered Aware's RM-60, which arrived the next day.

Connecting it to my PC took less than five minutes. Almost

immediately I had a graph of radiation levels in my bedroom — a

chilling if fascinating sight. Mr. Boardman advised that as long as

the reading remained flat, at around 15 microroentgens per hour,

there was nothing to worry about. (The unit can be programmed to

sound alarms or even send e-mail warnings when radiation levels

increase.)

Mr. Boardman had enclosed an egg-size rock containing uranium ore.

When I held it near the small round opening on top of the RM-

60, the line on the graph shot up. The same radioactive stone helped

me confirm that my hand-held counter from Mineralab was

working.

Of the two devices, the RM-60, at half the price of the stand-alone

unit, seemed the better buy. Its PC feed allows you to compare

radiation levels over time and to check data accumulated while you

are sleeping or otherwise engaged.

And yet, if I needed to evacuate in an emergency, I would want to

take my Geiger counter with me. Mr. Boardman recommended that I buy

one of two accessories — an attachment that generates audio clicks,

for $19, or an L.C.D. display for $159 — or that I connect my RM-60

to a palmtop instead of my desktop computer.

I went ahead and ordered the $19 attachment. It has been a week since

my first Geiger counter arrived, and I am beginning to find its slow

click reassuring.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com