Re: National Academies Report: More Study Needed Before Utah UraniumIs Sealed...

In a message dated 7/3/02 5:58:14 AM Mountain Daylight Time, liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

How often do you see an academic report with the conclusion that there's no point in spending any more money on this project? The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

 OFF-TOPIC RANT ABOUT TO BEGIN:

You know, I am as sick of this kind of cheap shot at academics as I am of the cheap shots the anti-nukes fire at government.  I was a full-time academic for 35 years and a full prof. for 20.  In that period, I published more than 100 papers and reports and four textbooks.  NOT ONE of those publications either asked for more money or ended with only a suggestion of more study (clearly in many cases the report was not the final word, so something to the effect of further study is often appropriate, even though the paper contains conclusions).   if I wanted more money I wrote a proposal for it.

What is true of me is true of most of my scientific academic colleagues (now, business schools are another matter).

Moreover, how do you think research gets done?  Professors get salaries (inadequate though they may be), but technicians, student help, lab equipment, computer support, computer equipment, telephones, water, heat, copiers, etc.  have to be paid for somehow.

END OF RANT.  THANK YOU.
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com