Lubin paper in J. Radiol. Prot.

	There were claims on RADSAFE recently that the May 2002 paper by

Lubin in J. Radiol. Prot. explains the discrepancy between my data on lung

cancer rates vs average radon levels in U.S. counties and the

predictions of linear-no threshold theory. It was suggested that I should

pay the reward I had offered for such an explanation.

	My response to that paper, submitted as a letter to the editor of

J. Radiol. Prot. is posted as item #14 on my web site

         www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc

I can't post it here as it has subscripts that e-mail can't handle. It

shows that the Lubin explanation of my discrepancy is not only extremely

implausible, but it is completely irrational.

	 Actually, it is not clear that Lubin intended it as an explanation

 for my discrepancy. It is basically a mathematical exercise that defies

rational application to the real world.

Bernard L. Cohen

Physics Dept.

University of Pittsburgh