Re: Deadly Waste

In a message dated 07/10/2002 3:26:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bdkeele@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

Regulators:  How can you justify such ultra-low standards when there are so many real problems in the world that could be fixed for a whole lot less money?

This question needs to go to the politicians.  As a regulator myself, who is not in anyway authorized to speak for the agency for which she works, I wholeheartedly OPPOSE ridiculously low cleanup standards.  They are not ALARA.  In my opinion, they actually do harm to public health.  I know many people in the regulatory arena who are of the same opinion, but the politicians see this issue as a goldmine.

Check out my May 15 editorial in the Orange County Register at:

http://ocregister.com/commentary/columns/others/scaretactics0515
02.shtml

Barbara