Re: Cancer deficiency clusters

Dov,

Application of "evidence based medicine" (statistical justification for

treatment) bothers me - the current Prempro fuss, for example. Did you notice

the huge excess (as many excess deaths, about 8/10,000, as from breast cancer

or heart disease) for the relatively uncommon thromboembolism? I think that

must indicate a lot of smokers in the study, and you know that contraindication

for birth control pills (essentially the same as Prempro). Smoking also greatly

increases the risk of heart attack and cancer.

So, how do I advise a post-menopausal patient who does NOT smoke, to prevent

collapsed back, broken hip, sexual aversion, etc? In this instance - as with

radiation hormesis - individualizing "risk" guestimates may be best..

I hear these sounds on Radsafe, like that measurement of radiation exposure is

not just a quick Geiger pronouncement, but that this guy "Q" (like on Star

Trek?) can distort by 200 times! Art and experience will always be needed (as

HMO patients are learning)

both for MDs and HPs.

Howard Long