Re: Portable gamma spectroscopy

They are also sold by Ludlum Measurements here in the USA.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Grimm, Lawrence" <LGrimm@FACNET.UCLA.EDU>

To: "'Edwards, Richard W'" <richard.w.edwards@BOEING.COM>; "'RADSAFE'"

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 1:17 PM

Subject: RE: Portable gamma spectroscopy

> Richard:

> Consider the Exploranium radiation detection systems, specifically their

miniSPEC.  We have one and found it quite useful in field situations.  I

know they have a nuclear medicine library module that recognizes the common

nuclear medicine nuclides.  They are in Ontario Canada and the phone is

905-670-7071.  Judging from your described needs, I would bet this is would

fit the bill.  They are light weight, easy to field calibrate, and the info

downloads to your computer for better analysis.

> Larry Grimm

> UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

> * lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051

> Cell: 310/863-5556  Pager:1-800-233-7231ext93569

> * On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605

> * Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th

> Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605

> * If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not

> UCLA's.

some

> good answers already. However, several people have questioned what we are

> trying to do. So...

> Like many organizations post-9/11, we're reviewing our security

> arrangements. In this case, we're looking into what to do after an entry

> gate or portal monitor alarms, alerting us to a radioactive source coming

in

> on a vehicle, in a package or on an person. One possibility under

> investigation is to equip the security personnel with some device that

gives

> them a limited capability to identify the nuclides involve which they

could

> compare to a list of common medical and industrial isotopes. This would

give

> them the ability to "clear" some alarms without activating the entire

> anti-terrorism response...whatever that is.

> The group that is looking into this asked me for some advice in finding an

> instrument that would allow them to do this. As I have no experience with

> the kinds of portable systems that they would find useful, I thought I

would

> try to augment my ability to weed through manufacturer literature and

> presentations with some personal experience of others. Thus my question to

> Radsafe

> I believe that the key factors will turn out to be: ease of use by

security

> staff, portability and cost. The ability to quantify activity, detect low

> levels in a short period of time, or differentiate uncommon nuclides are

not