Conference participants denounce French gov't over nuke tests

Conference participants denounce French gov't over nuke tests

14 Arrested at Tenn. Nuke Plant

Concerns aired over ships' nuclear fuel load

Pennsylvania Gov. Announces Potassium Iodide distribution

Conference participants denounce French gov't over nuke tests

HIROSHIMA, Aug. 5 (Kyodo) - By: Yasushi Azuma People from Algeria and

French Polynesia on Monday in Hiroshima denounced Paris for over its

refusal to recognize health problems they say are related to nuclear

tests it conducted.

They adopted a statement demanding France recognize its

responsibility for such medical conditions and conduct continuous

surveys on local residents near the test sites.

They also demanded it recognize the existence of damage to the health

of locals and others who worked at the sites. The event is a part of

a three-day international conference organized by the Japan Congress

Against A and H Bombs (Gensuikin).

Participants from overseas said France has consistently rejected

compensation claims by locals on the grounds it conducted nuclear

tests in a ''clean'' manner.

France conducted a total of 210 tests including 50 in the atmosphere

between 1960 and 1996 in the Sahara Desert in Algeria and in French

Polynesia.

Bruno Barrillot, a French journalist and antinuclear activist, said

many French soldiers and civilians including locals worked near the

sites without proper protective gear and were exposed to radiation.

He claims Paris must have known about the danger at the start of the

tests in 1960 since many documents about the hazards from the atomic

bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were already translated into

French.

Mohamed Bendjebbar, a former Algerian military officer, was involved

in the management of former French nuclear test sites in the Sahara

after French forces withdrew in 1967 and later suffered health

problems.

''The whole area near ground zero of the test site was black and I

saw many deformed metal fragments here and there,'' Bendjebbar said.

Roland Oldham, chairman of the association of victims of French

nuclear tests in French Polynesia, stressed, ''It's taboo to

criticize or even talk about the nuclear tests in Polynesia.''

Those who do so face the threat of losing their jobs and are under

other pressure from local authorities, he added.

''We want to ally with victims of radiation sickness in other

countries and we want more support from Japan,'' Oldam said.

Raymond Taha, 54, worked as a security guard at test sites in the

Moruroa Atolls of French Polynesia from 1970 to 1972. He entered the

sites without protective equipment and developed acute leukemia in

1994. He says his colleagues died one after another and his daughter

died due to malformed lungs.

Etienne Tehumu, 35, a policeman from Tureia Island in French

Polynesia, said adults there received wine and children got candy and

chocolates from French soldiers after each nuclear test was held.

''For the sake of the islanders of Tureia, I want to know the truth

about what the French government policy was,'' he said, adding locals

should have more detailed health checks.

---------------

14 Arrested at Tenn. Nuke Plant

OAK RIDGE, Tenn. Aug 5 (AP) - Fourteen protesters were arrested at an

annual demonstration outside the Y-12 nuclear plant to commemorate

the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II.

One person was charged with federal trespassing and the other 13 with

state misdemeanor charges of blocking a road and refusing police

commands to move.

An estimated 550 demonstrators participated in the protest Sunday,

organized by the Oak Ridge Environmental Peace Alliance.

Y-12 is a semiannual protest target for groups commemorating the

Hiroshima bombing because the plant produces uranium used to fuel

nuclear bombs such as the one dropped on Hiroshima.

Demonstrators protest at the plant each April and August. They have

said in the past one of their goals is to be arrested.

-------------------

Concerns aired over ships' nuclear fuel load

Aug 5 (Australian Broadcasting Company) There is concern about two

ships carrying nuclear fuel about 200  kilometres off the Albany

coast, WA, after a mishap with a separate  vessel last week.

Greens' MLC Robin Chapple says the ships are on their way from Japan

to  England, carrying mixed oxide plutonium/uranium nuclear fuel.

While there is not believed to be a problem with the ships, the

recent  incident in which a Dutch freighter was forced to seek refuge

in Albany  because of a fire in the hold has raised concerns.

Mr Chapple's spokesman, Scott Ludlam, says it shows accidents do

happen.

"It's never a routine idea taking two shiploads of nuclear fuel right

 around the world from Japan to the UK," he said.

"We're extremely concerned that it will only take one accident with

this  fuel to basically completely destroy whatever port this thing

puts  into."

----------------

Pennsylvania Gov. Schweiker Administration Announces Potassium Iodide

To Be Distributed From Aug. 15-21

Citizens, Workers and Schools Within 10 Miles

Of Nuclear-Power Plants to Receive KI Pills

HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- On behalf of Pennsylvania

Gov. Mark Schweiker, officials from the departments of Health and

Environmental Protection, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management

Agency, and the Pennsylvania Homeland Security Office today announced

that, from Aug. 15-21, citizens living within a 10-mile radius of

Pennsylvania's five nuclear-power plants may pick up potassium iodide

tablets that can add an extra layer of protection in the unlikely

event of an accidental release of radiation.  Potassium iodide is

commonly referred to by its scientific symbol of KI.

"I want to stress that obtaining KI tablets is not mandatory -- it is

an option Gov. Schweiker wanted to give our citizens so they could

make their own choices about emergency preparedness," Health

Secretary Robert S. Zimmerman Jr. said.

"I can't stress strongly enough that these pills are not a substitute

for evacuation.  In the unlikely event of a radioactive release, KI

pills only provide temporary protection for the thyroid gland against

cancer and hypothyroid conditions, not other types of health problems

that may result from exposure to radiation."

Homeland Security Director Earl Freilino said, "I want to emphasize

that Pennsylvania's nuclear-power plants are safe, secure and heavily

monitored facilities.  Even though we're going to make these pills

available, we aren't going to be any less vigilant in how we train

people to respond to a nuclear emergency or defend our nuclear

plants.

"In April, when Gov. Schweiker accepted the Nuclear Regulatory

Commission's offer of KI as an extra layer of protection for our

citizens, he was very clear that our best protection in the event of

a radiation release is evacuation, and KI is not a substitute."

There are five nuclear-power plants in Pennsylvania: Beaver Valley

Power Station, Limerick Generating Station, Peach Bottom

Atomic Power Station, Susquehanna Steam Electric Station, and Three

Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station.  There are more

than 650,000 people who live within a 10-mile radius of these

facilities.  The area within a 10-mile radius of a plant is called an

Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ).

The KI tablets will be distributed starting Thursday morning, Aug.

15, through Wednesday evening, Aug. 21, at 15 sites across

Pennsylvania, at least one site for each EPZ around the nuclear-power

facilities.  The sites will be open weekdays from 10 a.m. until

7 p.m. and on the weekends from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Public-health nurses and other public-health workers will issue two

tablets for each person.  Individuals picking up KI tablets will be

asked to sign for the KI.  Individuals will be allowed to pick up

tablets for their family members and those who are unable to pick

them up on their own.

In addition to the tablets, instructions on how to store the pills,

when they should be taken and how to give them to children will be

given out. Department of Health staff also will be available to

answer questions.

KI also will be available for those people who work in the 10-mile

EPZs, but do not live there.  Employers will be receiving letters

asking them to contact the Department of Health at 1-877-PA-HEALTH to

make arrangements to pick up tablets for their entire

workforce.

School districts within the 10-mile EPZs will be given the option of

deciding whether to accept and how to distribute KI for their

students.  There are 44 school districts in the 10-mile EPZs around

Pennsylvania's nuclear- power facilities.  The Department of

Health has been working with the Department of Education and the

Association of School Boards to answer questions about

dispensing this over-the-counter medication.

Likewise, amusement and sports facilities and other places that draw

large transient populations and are in the 10-mile EPZs will be

given access to KI, but it will be up to each facility to determine

if and how to best make it available to their customers in the

unlikely

event of a radioactive release at a nuclear-power plant.

If for any reason people are unable to pick up KI during the initial

seven-day distribution, or if they decide at a later time that they'd

like to get KI, Health Department offices will maintain a supply and

will make it available for pick up by the public during normal

business hours.  There is no time limit for picking up KI at these

sites.

Secretary Zimmerman recommends that residents talk to their family

physicians and pediatricians if they have any questions about their

health and whether or not there are specific reasons why KI may not

be safe for their family.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/