Electrical Hazard from Metal in TLD Badge

At Ontario Power Generation we use the Harshaw 8828 badge, which has four

TLD chips mounted in a card, and four filters. Two filters are all plastic,

one filter is tin enclosed between plastic, and the last one is a thin Mylar

window. The badge also normally has a metal clip attached to it that is

clipped to clothing. A concern has arisen at our plants about the

possibility of electrical arcing from the metal components to energized

electrical equipment. The obvious place for arcing is the metal clip, and

because the tin filter is completely enclosed, it doesn't seem to be an

issue. However, has anybody ever considered this question before, and what

do you think would be the hazard for the Mylar window?

John Chase

Sr. Technical Expert, External Dosimetry

Health Physics Department

Ontario Power Generation

905 430-2215, ext. 3242

john.chase@opg.com