Re: Electrical Hazard from Metal in TLD Badge

Do you prohibit the personnel in this work area from

wearing any and all metal jewelry?  Gold, silver, and

copper are some of the best conductors of electricity.

 Look in the CRC handbook at your common jewelry

metals.  If the badge is enclosed in mylar, I would

rather doubt it is any sort of arcing hazard.

I will confess to having removed a neckchain, gold

ring and a stainless steel watch, as well as avoiding

carrying metal keys in my hand when needing to run

from an automobile (a safe place during a lightning

storm because the rubber tires are good insulators) to

the outside (exposed to lightning hazard) briefly

during a fierce Gulf Coast lightning storm a few years

ago.  Owing to the current drought in the Southeast,

haven't seen too many such storms in the last 2 or 3

years, but experienced some very powerful lightning

storms 4-5 years ago.  They were exciting!!  The last

two years have been disappointing!

~ Ruth 2

--- CHASE John -NUCLEAR <john.chase@opg.com> wrote:

> At Ontario Power Generation we use the Harshaw 8828

> badge, which has four

> TLD chips mounted in a card, and four filters. Two

> filters are all plastic,

> one filter is tin enclosed between plastic, and the

> last one is a thin Mylar

> window. The badge also normally has a metal clip

> attached to it that is

> clipped to clothing. A concern has arisen at our

> plants about the

> possibility of electrical arcing from the metal

> components to energized

> electrical equipment. The obvious place for arcing

> is the metal clip, and

> because the tin filter is completely enclosed, it

> doesn't seem to be an

> issue. However, has anybody ever considered this

> question before, and what

> do you think would be the hazard for the Mylar

> window?

> John Chase

> Sr. Technical Expert, External Dosimetry

> Health Physics Department

> Ontario Power Generation

> 905 430-2215, ext. 3242

> john.chase@opg.com

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line.

> You can view the Radsafe archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs