RE: Annual attempt at correction

John Jacobus wrote:

<<Wars should be fought to the total defeat of the enemy.  Otherwise, you

have to do it again.>>

That wasn't exactly our experience in Korea or Vietnam, and I don't know

about Korea, but it wasn't even our goal in Vietnam. I guess technically

that wasn't even a war--we just killed 50,000 U.S. soldiers--or were they

just "advisors"? Iraq was a total "defeat," but we didn't decimate the

population in the process. Essentially, we didn't remove their will to

continue fighting, which seems to be what Israel is trying to accomplish in

a somewhat restricted way with the Palestinians. International pressure

appears to hold them back from what they really want to do. I have to look

at it from the legal approach to self-defense--you continue until you've

"stopped" the other person's attack, whether it occurs from the number of

shots you fire or the number of blows you deliver. Once you've stopped their

attack, i.e., removed their will to continue, you've lost your right to

cause them more harm, regardless of any vengeance, anger, or outrage you may

feel.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer