Re: KI

Although the ten mile radius airborne pathway emergency planning zone for nuclear power plants is the most well known, there is also a 50 mile radius food chain emergency planning zone.  This would include potential uptake of I-131 thru the grass-cow-milk pathway.  Since there would be more time to plan protective actions after the event than for the airborne pathway, this does not receive as much attention by emergency planners, but it's there.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Mike Lantz wrote:

Because the NUREG that originally said just that was pulled and rewritten because KI is much better -- it is magic.  A NUREG that would tout restriction of food stuffs and evacuation is far too complicated.  Isn't it much simplier to rush back to your house and stuff a KI pill down your baby's throat?  Or better yet ---- a KI spray that you carry with you.  You can't make enough money on the truth, so let them buy KI or try to distribute it.  I gave it my best to help the public.  I will try to in the future, I'm sure.  It's been a losing battle.

Mike Lantz, CHP

Susan McElrath wrote:

It is time to rethink the KI issue from the ground up to reflect changes in our society since the nuclear age began. Why do I not see recommendations to restrict milk intake following an incident, and forget the worries about mass distribution of KI?

Susan McElrath
voice: (770) 222-0829
fax: (
801) 838-5284