Re: KI

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM>

An: Mike Lantz <mlantz33@CYBERTRAILS.COM>

Cc: Susan McElrath <smhp@BELLSOUTH.NET>; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Montag, 12. August 2002 13:59

Betreff: Re: KI

>Although the ten mile radius airborne pathway emergency planning zone

>for nuclear power plants is the most well known, there is also a 50 mile

>radius food chain emergency planning zone.  This would include potential

>uptake of I-131 thru the grass-cow-milk pathway.  Since there would be

>more time to plan protective actions after the event than for the

>airborne pathway, this does not receive as much attention by emergency

>planners, but it's there.

Sorry, Bill, you are wrong. From my unfortunate experience after the

Chernobyl accident, there is no "potential uptake" through the

grass-cow-milk pathway, but a real one. The airborne pathway - I suppose you

mean inhalation of I-131 - is negligible compared to intake of I-131 by milk

and vegetables contaminated directly with I-131. This depends of course on

the season of the year and the amount of precipitation. Within hours of

heavy rain on certain parts of Austria after the Chernobyl clouds passed we

had really alarming I-131 concentrations in sheeps milk and in cows milk.

The inhalation dose was negligible. In Sweden and Finland cows were inside

the stables because there still was snow outside and small contaminations

with I-131 in milk could be observed, caused by inhalation of cows.

A good question is of course, whether anybody would voluntarily drink the

milk produced in the 50 miles zone. During the Windscale accident milk was

discarded from a large zone. Therefore restrictions (prohibition) on use of

foodstuff produced in the vicinity of the power plant is at least as

important as the use of KI in the case of a really severe accident.

We have profited after the Chernobyl accident of the experience after the

Windscale accident and could base our countermeasures at least to a small

excent on the Windscale experience. Maybe emergency planners could start the

experience gained in Europe after the Chernobyl accident.

Best regards,

Franz