Re: What to do ? ? ?

At 09:35 AM 8/13/2002 -0400, RuthWeiner@aol.com wrote:

Your responses indicate that you apply reasonable prudence and good judgment in avoiding or mitigating most common environmental threats to health and safety (and your dentist applies reasonable prudence with that lead apron).  The same rational judgment should tell you that you are not going to be irradiated driving across Idaho.  Moreover, the same reasoning you apply to mosquito bites should be applied to the radiation-scare book you cite (I've forgotten the name).  You apparently dismiss the recorded West Nile virus deaths in New York but take the Ernest Sternglass fictions seriously.

When someone makes a statement "I wouldn't drive that route without a Geiger counter" and coupled with the (now deprecated) claims of Sternglass, and being the generally curious type, I decided to take a "look."

Actually, I think this look at the radiation levels has done more to make me feel comfortable than anything else I've done--or that you've said. It gives me hard numbers that people are over-reacting. It makes your arguments more credible. Without actually seeing the numbers for myself, I would tend to wonder who to believe.

I dismissed the West Nile deaths as a scare and I said the Canadian press had compared it (at one point) to the flu. Yes, people have died. Yes, people die from the flu. I have gotten the flu. I am still alive. I will not actively seek West Nile virus and I DID wear long sleeve shirt and long pants at the family reunion--and I applied DEET to my clothes, head and neck...and probably got some on my hands. Yes, I'm aware of risks from DEET, too!

Cheers,

Richard