RE: perception and reality

Barbara,

Absolutely!  I don't recall the magazine I read the article out of, but this

was the very point being stressed.  Environmental groups have learned over

the years that if they can prey on public ignorance they can get the

ignorant public to pay for protection from whatever it is they're

advocating...and alot of people really shell out the dough when they believe

they're contributing to a cause that protects their environment.  Why else

would politicians and legislators actually cringe at the thought of trying

to fight the environmental movement, even if they may not actually believe

what's being advocated?  Or a better question would be: Who wouldn't?  Here

you have an industry with wide public support and seemingly bottomless

pockets of money?  So yeah, I believe there are people who can (and do)

actually make a living by doing nothing more than looking for ways to incite

public fear over issues that may (at best) or may not pose any real credible

threat---the truth is, it's all about money....so goes the now-popular

slogan "It's the truth, it's an outrage."

 I know we all have actual work to do, but the hard-core activists

apparently don't.  I have come to believe over the last seven months, it is

their job, on a day to day basis, to simply distort the facts, hoping to

turn (or keep) the tide of public opinion against the hard, albeit tedious,

evidence, and gather a lot of uneducated money together in the process.  So,

even if you didn't sign up for it, if you have the tools it takes, you're

enlisted in the battle to maintain some semblance of sanity in our

regulatory framework.

Barbara