Re: perception and reality

OK this is a little off-topic, but it's short:

How come we worry so much about how we talk to "others?"  We don't seem to worry about what we say on RADSAFE.  When I was a student (OK, that was the dark ages when science was respected for itself and no one had heard of "perceived risk"), and I was wrong about something, I was just told by someone who knew "You are wrong."  That has continued to happen to this day.    Even when I am NOT wrong, I have been argued with in no uncertain terms by my colleagues.  Moreover, the sainted stakeholders don't mind telling me "you are intimidating" "you are elitist"  "you have an attitude" and other unsubtle ways of saying "and I'm going to continue spreading hysteria and distortions and not listen to you unless you talk real nice."

Humility?  Not beyond any normal scientist's skepticism about his or her own beliefs.  What's to cloak oneself in humility about?  The fact that one is knowledgeable?  I suggest "persistence" is the key.  Just say what you think, straight out.  It has a certain shock effect, anyway (like Jim Muckerheide's posts) and that gets people to listening.

"Always do right.  It will gratify a few and surprise the rest."  Mark Twain
"I didn't give them hell.  I gave them the truth and they thought it was hell."  Harry Truman.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com