Re: Radiation from an A-bomb

Howdy,

      This is from  jpreisig@aol.com   .

      Hello Kai and Radsafers,

      You can do this kind of calculation yourself.

      I'm assuming this is an ordinary A-bomb (not a Hydrogen Weapon).

      I don't think you will see much in the way of neutrons outside of such

      suitcase bomb.  A (D,T) neutron generator used for triggering an

      atom-bomb will not generate neutrons until around the time the bomb is

      being set off.  And if the triggering device is just an AmBe source

with

      some sort of shielding and/or shutter, then the AmBe source also must

      be shielded until the bomb is to be triggered.  A large number of

      prematurely emitted neutrons could trigger the atom-bomb before its

      intended explosion time.

           As for gammas outside of such a device, for an approximation, just

      assume the bomb is a cylinder or a sphere.  The bomb material is

      largely U-235 or Pu-238 (95% - 100% enriched).  What gammas do

      U-235 or Pu-238 emit????  See your Rad Health handbook.  Remember,

      such a device is somewhat large, such that gammas arriving from the

      center of such a device (to the outside surface of the device) will be

      shielded by the intervening Uranium or Plutonium material.  I guess you

could

      do a shielding calculation which considers the gammas from thin layers

      of a sphere or cylinder of Uranium or Plutonium.

      Easier still, just whip out your copy of MCNP (Monte Carlo Neutral

Particle

      Program), set up your bomb geometry and compute the gamma flux

      densities (or fluences) outside of your simulated bomb.  Try bomb

masses

      of 1 kilogram to 20 kilograms.

           My guess is you would want a nice portable MultiChannel Analyzer

with

      some sort of gamma sensitive probe attached.  I don't know much about

the

      alphas coming from U-235 or Pu-238.  The alphas will be stopped by the

      suitcase around the bomb.

      Many Atomic bombs probably have some sort of moderating or reflecting

      material to allow the bomb to work efficiently.  Account for this in

your

      calculations.

      Have fun.  I hope this 9/11 is a peaceful one.

                                                    J.R. Preisig, Ph.D.