Fw: I-131 in Pregnancy and Abortion

I strongly agree with Otto's referral to Dr. Brent. You can also see some

related issues that Dr. Brent and others have already addressed on this

topic at the HPS' Ask the Expert site

(http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/cat4.html).

 The dose to the fetus in this case will depend somewhat on the degree of

hyperthyroidism, but I estimate it at 20-35 mGy (2-3.5 rad), using the table

at the RADAR site (http://www.doseinfo-radar.com/RADAR-INT-NM.html) (and

 assuming you meant "millicuries" by "mc"). The ICRP's latest

recommendations  (ICRP 84) say that fetal doses less than 100-200 mGy (10-20

rad) do not justify consideration of terminating the pregnancy because of

the radiation exposure; this is consistent with recent recommendations by

the NCRP as well.

 Mike

 Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

 Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

 Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

 Vanderbilt University

 1161 21st Avenue South

 Nashville, TN 37232-2675

 Phone (615) 343-0068