Re: I-131 dose to pregnant woman

> I've basically no experience in this matter but I was rather struck by

some of

> the numbers in this table.  The 2.4 rem (24 mSv, ca. 24 mGy) to the uterus

(and

> therefore foetus?) seems to agree with what others have suggested.  I note

> however that the thyroid dose is "only" (quotes indicating my uneducated

> reaction) 2.6 rem, most other organs considered in the program seem to get

> greater doses.  Now my limited education includes the thought that iodine

is

> supposed to concentrate in the thyroid and that the purpose of giving

I-131 to

> such a patient is to deliver a dose to the thyroid.  The numbers produced

below

> would seem to suggest that in fact it is not very efficient.  Why is this

so?

> Anyone care to educate me? (in brief I hope :-) )

In brief, I think the numbers are not very good. The dose to the esophagus

and thymus are inexplicably high, and dose to the urinary bladder is way too

low, as is the dose to the thyroid, as you note. Carol Marcus suggests the

J. Nucl Med article for guidance, and I agree. These are the same numbers

that I referred you to on the RADAR web page. The article gives doses to a

number of organs, with dependence on the degree of hyperthyroidism. The dose

to the uterus is representative of the dose to the fetus in the first few

weeks of pregnancy.

20% thyroid uptake

Urinary Bladder 540 mGy

Ovaries 20 mGy

Red Marrow 40 mGy

Thyroid 200,000 mGy

Uterus 30 mGy

40% thyroid uptake

Urinary Bladder 430 mGy

Ovaries 20 mGy

Red Marrow 50 mGy

Thyroid 400,000 mGy

Uterus 30 mGy

60% thyroid uptake

Urinary Bladder 350 mGy

Ovaries 20 mGy

Red Marrow 70 mGy

Thyroid 550,000 mGy

Uterus 30 mGy

80% thyroid uptake

Urinary Bladder 320 mGy

Ovaries 15 mGy

Red Marrow 90 mGy

Thyroid 660,000 mGy

Uterus 20 mGy

I rounded these to 1 or 2 sig figs, and took a rough average of the "fast"

and "slow" thyroid uptake numbers from Table 2 of the JNM article (if you

want the dose in rads, divide the above numbers by 10). These are just rough

estimates for a given patient, more specific thyroid dose calculations

should be done, but they give you an idea of more reasonable numbers for the

other important organs. I will note, however, that the numbers given in the

JNM article for fetal dose at later stages of pregnancy are not reliable, as

fetal uptake has not been considered. See Health Phys 73(5):756-769, 1997

for better numbers in later pregnancy.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068