Re: I-131 dose to pregnant woman

Warning flags always go up for me when I read that someone "ran the numbers

through a ... program."  This implies that the program is treated as a black

box, with blind acceptance of the results.  The 3 key questions are:

1.  How well is the program validated?  Even if the program has the "Good

Housekeeping Seal of Approval" from a reputable group, is it being using within

the range of the validation?  (My experience with shielding programs is that the

results may not be valid for dose rates at the surface of the shielding.)  Does

the user periodically run test cases to verify that the program has not become

corrupted?

2.  Is the input correct for the program requirements (gigo)?  Sometimes, the

assumed units or other parameters are not what the user expects.  One situation

I've run into is the issue of daughter activity.  Some programs default to

calculating daughter activities, while some programs do not include daughter

activities unless the user requests this; e.g., Cs-137 would be treated as a

pure beta emitter.  Although this is probably not a factor, here, there could be

other "gotcha's" in the program.

3.  If this person is "a very knowledgeable colleague," why did he blindly

accept results that are so unusual?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton