Re: I-131 dose to pregnant woman

My understanding is that iodine concentrates in the thyroid, but only

stays long enough to be metabolized into thyroxin and T-4, hormones that

circulate throughout the body.  Residence in the thyroid is long enough

for a diagnostic or therapeutic dose to do what is needed.  Maybe others

will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tony Harrison, MSPH

Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment

Laboratory and Radiation Services Division

(303)692-3046

tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> <Peter.Thomas@health.gov.au> 08/19/02 07:21PM >>>

I've basically no experience in this matter but I was rather struck by

some of

the numbers in this table.  The 2.4 rem (24 mSv, ca. 24 mGy) to the

uterus (and

therefore foetus?) seems to agree with what others have suggested.  I

note

however that the thyroid dose is "only" (quotes indicating my

uneducated

reaction) 2.6 rem, most other organs considered in the program seem to

get

greater doses.  Now my limited education includes the thought that

iodine is

supposed to concentrate in the thyroid and that the purpose of giving

I-131 to

such a patient is to deliver a dose to the thyroid.  The numbers

produced below

would seem to suggest that in fact it is not very efficient.  Why is

this so?

Anyone care to educate me? (in brief I hope :-) )

Peter Thomas

ARPANSA

I took this question to a very knowledgeable colleague who ran the

numbers

through an internal dosimetry program called RSAC using ICRP 39 model

of

the human body this is the info he came up with.

Assuming the dose is in milli curies and NOT micro curies (If micro

that of

course would reduce the dose by a factor of 1000)

Another caveat is that these doses are to the mother and the fetal

tissue

has not yet differentiated into organ at 1 - 2 weeks of gestation.

I don't think a dose to the mother's uterus warrants a therapeutic

abortion

|--------------------+--------------------|

|Organ receiving dose|Dose to organ in REM|

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Adrenals      |         3          |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|    Bladder Wall    |        2.3         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|    Bone surface    |        4.8         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Breast       |        6.7         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|     Esophagus      |        17.1        |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Stomach       |         17         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|Small Intestine Wall|        2.5         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|    Upper Large     |        2.5         |

|   Intestine Wall   |                    |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|    Lower Large     |        2.4         |

|   Intestine Wall   |                    |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Kidneys       |        2.5         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Liver        |        2.7         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Lungs        |        5.7         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Muscle       |        6.7         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Ovaries       |        2.3         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Pancreas      |        3.3         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|  Red Bone Marrow   |        5.2         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|        Skin        |        4.6         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Spleen       |        3.1         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Thymus       |        17.1        |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|      Thyroid       |        2.6         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

|       Uterus       |        2.4         |

|--------------------+--------------------|

Dear Colleagues;

A 23 year old woman received 14.6 mc I-131 for hyperthyroidism.

A few days later it became apparent that she had conceived one week

before

receiving the I-131.

In other words the 14.6 mc were given in her 1-2 first weeks of

pregnancy.

She is now 5-6 weeks pregnant.

Should abortion be considered in view of possible damage to the fetus

?

Your fast opinion is very important.

Thanks,

Moshe Levita

Ministry of Health, Israel

mlevita@netvision.net.il

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.