Fw: Relevance of experts

Jerry,

I guess my only comment is what if you are wrong?  What if 10 rem/y

(0.1Sv/a) has an adverse affect on health?  The studies I have seen or heard

about report no affect below 5 rem/y (50 mSv/a) for cohort studies of

radiation workers.  What about studies of the general population?  While the

study of specific populations may give us some clues about long term

radiation effects, do they apply to all populations?

Another comment is the claim that radiation boost the immune system.  If you

look at these studies, I think you will see that only one component of

immune response system is reported upon.  I have not seen anything that

indicates the individuals are any healthier.  (I am excluding medical

patients who may, obviously, be responding to the treatment not necessarily

the immune response that is being stimulated.)

If my memory is correct, studies at high dose exposures show an initial rise

of cellular components, such as granularcytes.  However, within a short

period of time, the response falls below normal levels.  This is a rebound

affect to stress on the body.  At low doses, is there a similar response?

That is, does the response of the immune system or its measured components,

remain high, or eventually fall below preexposure levels?

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD 20715-2024

jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

> From: Jerry Cohen[SMTP:JJCOHEN@PRODIGY.NET]

> At what dose above background do you think there is no need to worry about

> controlling it?  These organizations suggest 100 mrem.  What would you

like?

> 500 mrem?  1,000 mrem?  What is the basis for your consideration?  Because

> it "sounds" good?  Because yeast can stand hundreds of rads, do you think

> that should be the yardstick we should consider?

John,

As I previously discussed on radsafe, the optimal dose level would likely

vary from person to person.  IMHO, the optimal dose  for humans ranges from

~1.0 to 100 rem/a with a log-mean of ~10.0 rem/a. Doses significantly below

optimal (<100mrem/a) may result in radiation deficiency effects including

impaired immunological function. So, to answer your question, I would worry

about doses either >10.0, or <0.1 rem/a (including background). Anything in

between is probably OK. What do you think?