Re: Relevance of experts

John,

    A few comments to clarify my position (hopefully):

1. to answer your original question, I wouldn't worry about any dose below

~1.0 rem/a. above background

2. In my estimation, the optimal dose range is somewhere between 1.0 and

100.0 rem/a.

3. At a dose of 10.0rem/a, in the unlikely event that adverse effects should

occur,  there could also be offsetting positive effects.

4. Like all other physical and chemical  agents , radiation likely causes a

wide range of dose related effects. Such effects could be either positive or

negative in nature. For a given individual at any given dose level, health

consequences reflect the sum of these effects. Certain rare hypersensitive

individuals might indeed have  adverse  effects at  low doses analogous to

allergic reactions to some chemical agents.

5. I don't believe it is prudent to set exposures standards based on effects

to the most sensitive individuals, but that is only my opinion.

6. Finally, if the maximum allowable dose were set at 1.0 rem/a (10.0

mSv/a), we would save a lot of $$$$$$, which might then be allocated toward

useful objectives.