RE: It's not about dose ...

A few testy comments on Bill's "points".

1.  The Rasmussen report (1973-74) did in fact say that what happened at TMI

(1979) could happen.

2.  Industry folklore is that the Soviets did say their reactors were so

safe they didn't need containment.  They did lose a lot of credibility and

eventually their empire, partly because of that loss of credibility.  Do you

have any sense for the differences between the pre-Chernobyl Soviet nuclear

program and programs in the rest of the world?

3.  For decades, Hanford dumped massive amounts (approximately 450 billion

gallons) of lightly contaminated waste liquids directly into "cribs" (i.e.,

directly in the ground).  It percolated roughly 400 feet down through the

sand to the water table and then started moving toward the Columbia River,

where the original lightly contaminated waste, first diluted by the

groundwater flow was them massively diluted by the flow of the Columbia

River (average 60,000 to 100,000 cubic feet per second under low flow

conditions; on the order of 250,000 to 380,000 cfs during spring runoff).

Groundwater flow into the Columbia from the Hanford site is less than 40

cfs, so you are looking at dilutions by a factor of 2000 to 10000 of the

contaminated groundwater entering the river.  River monitoring consistently

shows concentrations of some radionuclides higher in the water upstream of

the Hanford site than downstream.  The only radionuclides with significantly

higher concentrations downstream are I-129 and H-3, with concentrations

respectively 10000 times and 200 times lower than EPA drinking water

standards.  I live in Richland and drink water drawn from the river

downstream from the Hanford site.  I have much better things to worry about.

There was significant contamination of the river with P-32 during the first

decade or so of operation of the site; that was one of the two radioisotopes

considered during the Hanford Dose Reconstruction Project (the other dose

reconstruction, I-131, was the basis for the recently completed Hanford

Thyroid Disease Study, which found no Hanford-related increase in thyroid

diseases among those who were children during the years of greatest releases

of radioiodine).

The more recent leakage of high level waste fluids for the Hanford waste

tanks is less than a million gallons, is moving slowly toward groundwater

with some of the waste binding to soil, and will be diluted when it is

metered into the groundwater flow and massively diluted when the groundwater

reaches the Columbia.

Much of the information above can be found in a white paper by Ronald Smith

of PNNL, written for the Columbia River Pastoral Letter Project and

available at <www.columbiariver.org/main_pages/readings/hanf/smith.htm>.

4.  No particular comment on the Davis-Besse stuff, other than that it was

really ugly and I hope the appropriate people get appropriately strung up.

"It's not about dose, it's about trust" and I can see no reason to trust

Bill Lipton's kneejerk reactions to every issue.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.