RE: Security at U.S. Nuclear Labs Called Unacceptable

Hi Bill:

I don't know whether you have dealt with the media on the subject of

radioactivity or not, no matter.  Years ago EPA had a study done on the

'presence' of Plutonium in San Francisco Bay.  The Researcher (I'm being

kind) found this isotope in massive amounts??, in the femto (1 E-15)curie or

3.7 E-05) Bq range.  The fish tested at that time were not a favorite on the

Menu and some parts of the fish tested are not fit for consumtion.  He did

the analyses with the appropriate standard deviations.  In his calculations

dropped the standard deviations and averaged these numbers.  Guess what, he

found 'large' (femto) curie amounts.  Well, a study was then orded by FDA

and EPA.  Needless to say the his numbers did not agree with the FDA and

EPA's numbers.  At this time one the local TV stations visited the FDA

Laboratory and I was interviewed.  After several hours into the interview,

they left.  They also took video shots of the Laboratory and some of the

Analysts.  They were a little upset that I would not agree there was a

health hazard.  That evening they showed the 'story'.  It began with a

mushroom cloud over the ocean and the tide coming in where the Reporter

stood.  They talked about the hazard (which doesn't exist).  I was nowhere

to be seen (that's o.k.)  They showed the Laboratory as an EPA one. The

nearest one that does this kind of analyses is in Alabama and the analysts

worked for EPA.  The EPA put out a report on these studies in 1984 entitled

"Data from the Studies of Previous Radioactive Waste Disposal in

Massachusetts" EPA 520/1-84-031 (December 1984).  Also there is a paper

published in Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry.  The title is

"Determination of Plutonium 239/240 in Fish in Low-level Radioactive Waste

Dump Sites" Vol. 194-1, pp 157-162.  What does this mean?  The media doesn't

care if it has anything to do with science, only money.

Ed

Note:  The above is only my experience and has nothing to do with my Agency.

Edmond J. Baratta

Radiation Safety Officer

Tel. No. 781-729-5700, ext 728

FAX: 781-729-3593