Re: Security at U.S. Nuclear Labs Called Unacceptable

I agree with your first two points, although, after reading some of the Radsafe

postings, I would hesitate to deny that some hp's are "aliens masquerading as

scientists..."

Unfortunately,  you overlook a few things:

1.  TMI - What we'd been saying couldn't happen, did.  Although the actual release was

negligable, our confused and contradictory response reenforced public fears.  The

incident, itself, was more an emergency planning failure than a hardware failure.  That

it happened at all is largely because the industry ignored precursor events - A FAILURE

OF CRITICAL SELF-EVALUATION.

2.  The Soviets used to say that their plants are so well designed, they don't need

containments.  What couldn't happen, did.  OOOP's; a slight loss of credibility.

3.  Hanford - Unfortunately, spent fuel waste IS transporting across the barren desert

and is approaching the Columbia River, from which it's likely to get into someone's

hair spray.  In the meantime we spend $$$$ trying to clean up this mess and don't seem

to be making much progress.

4.  Davis Besse - FENCO  tried to save a few bucks and put the whole industry at risk.

There were all sorts of indications of a serious problem for anyone who wanted to look

(eg., air sample filters rapidly becoming clogged, a layer of oxide on the vessel

head); but no one wanted to look .  We were down to our last safety barrier and then

some.  How can we assure the public that this is an aberration, not "business as

usual"?

5....

The Radsafe response SHOULD be:  What went wrong?  What's the root cause?  What's the

most appropriate corrective action?

Instead, the usual response on Radsafe seems to be:

1.  It's a media conspiracy.

2.  A little radiation is probably good for you.  (The only reason people think it's

bad for you is a media conspiracy.)

3.  [Fill in the blank]  kills more people.

4.  All of the above.

I'm beginning to think that we should change our name from "Radsafe" to "Kneejerk."

We blame everyone and everything but ourselves.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com