Re: Relevance of experts

Michael,

    Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I'm sorry that I may have

steered this string toward a political discussion. I really didn't intend to

do so.

    The point I was attempting to make was that  allowable radiation dose

limits should be raised significantly. Such an increased limit would result

in immense savings of financial and other resources with no detriment to

health and perhaps even some improvement.

    Whether it was intentional or not, the radiation policy establishment

has done much to inflame public radiophobia. I don't know if it is public

fears that  cause highly restrictive radiation regulations, or vice versa.

My guess is that there has been a symbiotic relationship between the

anti-nukes and radiation regulators. A problem faced by political leaders in

a democracy,  is whether to give the public what they want, or what's good

for them -- and who should decide what's good for them? It would take a

particularly brave politician to do what is right, when such a move would be

unpopular. It is therefore unlikely that dose limits will be raised. At

least not in the foreseeable future.