Re: Relevance of experts

Sandy, John,

    This post is to respond to both your questions. First, I really meant a

dose limit of 1.0 rem/a (1000 mrem/a, 10.0 mSv/a), instead of the current

500 mrem/a, 100 mrem/a, or whatever it is this week. I would also be happy

with any  limit up to 10.0 rem/a, but maybe that would be "pushing" it. As

for the $$$$ saved, just consider, for example, all the megabucks that are

squandered in meeting the abominable EPA site cleanup standard of

15 mrem/a. The cost-effectiveness of avoiding that last few mrem probably

exceeds   millions, perhaps billions, of  dollars per person-rem. If the

standard were 1000 mrem/a, most of the sites in question would likely

require no cleanup at all. Does anyone with even a modicum of technical

understanding really believe we need such a restrictive standard to avoid

dire radiological consequences?

    As to what we might do with the money saved, just to mention a few of my

favorites how about: improved traffic safety,  immunization programs, drug

and alcohol control, mental health, education, etc., etc. Sometimes, when I

see some of the idiotic decisions coming out of our congress and regulatory

agencies, I get the impression that democracy is really a dumb idea. . The

problem is that I can't think of a better form of government.