Re: AW: Victims

Yes, we have used it.  We used it in a very limited way in a defensive

war forced on us.  That is partly why I say we are less likely to do so

again.  We have nothing to prove (already proved it).  Since we have

used it, we are eager to demonstrate to other nations that we are not an

imperialist bully.  Look at our most recent (hopefully last) war with

Iraq.  Why didn't we "finish the job" and set up our own puppet

government?  It was a classic show of restraint and a silent message to

the rest of the world.

You are right about our willingness to use nukes, but only in a way that

the rest of the world would describe as justified or necessary.  We

would use nukes if there was no other way to defend our country, and

only if the alternative was worse than radical condemnation by the

civilized world (and ourselves).

And you are right, I am just calling it as I see it.  I have no hard

evidence.  I was unaware of the "no first strike" issue, which (being

ignorant of the issue) I would want to see signed by every nation.

On second thought, lets just pretend for a second.  Everybody signs the

NFS treaty.  Then, country z, with its advanced biowarfare technology,

threatens to release a 21 day virus that will waste 50% of the North

American population.  Should we just impose economic sanctions? Hmmmm

Susan L Gawarecki wrote:

> Seeing as how the US has already used The Bomb twice and no other

> nuclear-empowered nation has used it at all, I don't really follow this

> logic.  Do countries pour ungodly amounts of money into designing and

> producing weapons that they have no intention of using?

> Frankly, I believe that the US is willing use a strategic nuclear device

> if it serves an important military purpose.  Our country has refused to

> sign a "no first strike" agreement.  It continues to design, build and

> test (currently via modeling) new weapons and is putting in place even

> more complex supporting infrastructure (National Ignition Facilty;

> modernized facilities at Y-12 National Security Complex).  The current

> administration is talking about resuming underground tests.

> And this is all merely saber-rattling?

> Personally, I prefer to look at the evidence and not put my faith in a

> myth that everyone is supposed to believe.

> Regards,

> Susan Gawarecki

	Gary Isenhower

	713-798-8353