From this exchange, we are learning more about a very important subject.  I'll certainly have a look at the FEMA report. The personal attacks are not helpful.  We ought to present information dispassionately.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 3:29 AM
Subject: RE: [cdn-nucl-l] Fw: reply to WTC/asbestos inquiry

I suppose you can consider this as "controversial" if you give equal weight
to an official study of the conditions of failure of the WTC buildings by
qualified engineers and architects and the blathering of a lawyer for a
conservative association of doctors (not the AMA -- too liberal for the
AAPS) speaking at a gathering of conservative propagandists of various
stripes.  Jerry would seem to be the odd man out in that collection, but
perhaps he can characterize that better than I.

A couple of points.

It is not the case that asbestos is a better insulator than the
alternatives.  It is cheaper than the alternatives, because it can be mined
and they have to be manufactured.

It is not the case that any part of the WTC towers was left uninsulated.

The WTC fire included both the jet fuel and the in-building combustibles,
plus the effect of the jetliner crashes which compromised the building fire
protection systems and probably shivered loose much of the spray-on
insulation.  The other fires Schlafly cites involved only in-building
combustibles.  One of the WTC buildings, WTC 7, I believe, was the first
high rise to fail due to a building fire, without only a large diesel fuel
tank as a complicating factor.

You might want to read Michael Schermer's column in the current Scientific
American, "Why smart people believe weird things" or just go to the report
of the official panel, available at <www.fema.gov> and read what qualified
observers have to say.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.