Re: Glass-Based Radon Measurements

Bill and Friends,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the actual observables are in a

case - control study. The way I understand it, case - control studies work

like this:

1.    Find people with a disease (cases).

2.    Match people to the cases that are similar (controls).

3.    See if there is a difference in exposure to a suspected causal agent.

4.    If there is a difference in exposure, you calculate an excess relative

risk (ERR) per unit exposure.

The only observables are related to step 3, i.e. differences in exposure.

My question is: Is there any way that we can infer the observables

(differences in exposure) from the reported calculated results? (I don't

have ready access to J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 2002 Sep;12(5):344-54)

For example, could the statement:

"...the excess relative risk (ERR) of 75% (-4% to 430%) per 100 Bq m(-3)

obtained when using a continuous variable for surface-based average radon

concentration estimates, were about twice the size of the corresponding

relative risks obtained among these subjects when using air-based average

radon concentration estimates."

mean:

"surface-based average radon concentration estimates showed only 1/2 as much

excess radon concentration of cases vs. controls than using air-based

average radon concentration estimates."?

In physics, the authors of studies usually put their raw data somewhere so

that anyone can download it, re-analyze it, check for errors in arithmetic

etc etc. Is this not usual in epidemiology? (Obviously one would have to

hide the personal info of the participants, but that shouldn't be a

problem.)

To me, this would add more credibility to the studies. If the same people

are designing the study and collecting the data and analyzing the data and

writing conclusions about the data, would that not tend to amplify any

biases these people might subconsciously have by a factor of 4?

Best Regards,

Kai