Re: SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLy AT PARIS AIRPORT

In a message dated 08/29/2002 4:56:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, grantjoh@pacbell.net writes:

Sounds like a 1 inch pipe and caps would do the job.  Cost, about $3.
Is it government regulations that make $3 worth of pipe fittings
prohibitively expensive?

Depending upon the number of these shipments per day, I imagine it could be expensive, in that the cost will be passed on to the "end user," which ultimately is a thyroid carcinoma patient.  Obviously, the containers would be re-usable, assuming the hospitals and clinics dutifully returned them, so it might just be a one-time outlay of money for a two - three day supply of containers, assuming they are returned in a timely manner.

One hundred millicuries of I-131 is actually on the low side of current therapeutic doses for thyroid cancer metastates, as I understand things.  It might be interesting to hear from the major radiopharmacies in the country on how many 100 mCi or higher dosages of I-131 per day are shipped out of any given major metropolitan pharmacy location, and what other considerations would come into play if this suggestion were implemented.

Barbara