Re: No link between mobile phones and tumours - study

>Swedish research published last week concluded that long-term users of

>first generation

>mobile phones faced an up to 80 percent greater risk of developing brain

>tumours than non-users...

the above is misleading. The Swedish report found no increase in brain

cancer (that is, malignant brain tumors). The study included both benign and

malignant brain tumors, and both mobile phones and cordless phones. The

incidence of malignant brain tumors was non-significantly elevated in users

of both analog mobile phones, digital mobile phones and cordless phones. The

incidence of benign brain tumors was elevated in users of analog phones and

slightly decreased in users of digital mobile phones and cordless phones.

<snip>

----------

I and two collegues at Karolinska Institutet commented this yesterday on the

leading newspaper (Svenska Dagbladet)  debate page in Sweden (the massmedial

fallout was - as I wrote earlier - quite heavy here):

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/Brannpunkt/did_2633273.asp

This can be read by Scandinavians only - I apologize. The headline (which we

didn't make - but I find it quite appropriate) reads: "Fantasies about

mobile phones".

We end by saying approx. that "We do not find it ethically or morally

correct by researchers to create alarms based on the existing scientific

grounds. In other words, we do not think that it is possible to draw

conclusions regarding an association between the use of mobile phones and

the development of cancer."

We point out that the researchers who created the last alarm (brain tumors &

cancer) come from a group that has produced over one hundred alarms over a

period of more than 20 years. We write that most of these alarms have later

been shown to be misleading or false. We say that one may ask whether the

purpose of their activities is to create alarms.

My personal initiative only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com