RE: FW: talk to journos

Ruth, I'm sure what the scout was trying to build was an Alpha/Neutron

source. Neutron sources used in industry are often made by combining an

alpha emitter with a light element such as beryllium. In such a source a

small percentage of the alphas emited interact with the Berylium to generate

a new atom that then emits a neutron in becoming stable. This is the way

Plutonium Berylium and Radium Berylium sources work. I don't know how well

this would work with aluminum. In a normal source the source material and

the Berylium would be a mixture to provide the greatest opportunity for the

reaction to occur due to the short penetration distance of the alpha. Using

a geometry where the foil surrounds the alpha source would mean the reaction

rate would be reduced drastically. As I recall for alpha/neutron sources you

normally get only a few tens of neutrons per million alphas emitted in the

source. With the referenced geometry I'm sure the effieiency would be

several orderes of magnitude less than this.

Perhaps this helps a little.

Take care all and be safe.