talk to journos

Radsafers,

I have not read the Reader's Digest story but heard it from one of the people involved.  The "radioactive boy scout" story as I remember it occurred in Michigan by some kid scraping Ra from old watch dials and using Am-241 from smoke detectors.  I believe he worked in his garage.  i believe it was one of the state HPs responsible for the clean up that gave a talk about the event at one of the annual HPS meetings, either the Philadelphia or Minneapolis meeting.  If you saved you meeting abstracts you can read about it.

Kjell Johansen, PhD

Sr. Chemist - Environmental

Point Beach Nuclear Plant

kjell.johansen@nmcco.com