RE: Animal radon studies

Okay---sorry---I mistakenly forgot to factor in the increased alpha dose

from the progeny as well as the beta contribution; in the scenario without

mucosal build-up, you would still have progeny plate-out on the lung

surfaces (though I would have thought to a much lesser extent than in the

case with increased mucus production due to the cigarette smoke).  If the

plate-out difference between the two scenarios isn't very big (i.e. small

enough to negate the increased beta dose), then the total dose would indeed

drop due to shielding of the alphas by the mucus lining.

Thanks for the clarification.

Greg Gibbons