radwaste scaling factors

This message is directed to my fellow power reactor radwaste people.  My

concern is the calculation of scaling factors for our various waste

streams.

I noticed the following in an inspection report for Cooper (NRC

Inspection Report 50-298/01-06, dated November 19, 2001, available from

the NRC web page):

page 13:  "A noncited violation ... was identified for failure to

properly classify and manifest radioactive waste shipments in 1999,

2000, and 2001.  On August 21, 2001, the inspectors identified that the

licensee had incorrect shipping manifests and had underreported isotopic

and total shipment radioactivity.  The licensee had utilized

nonconservative 3-year average waste stream analysis scaling factors in

each waste stream...Various isotopic scaling factors were low by a

factor of between 10 and 100..."

Although I have not talked with anyone at Cooper about this, I suspect

that this may have resulted from using software that uses rolling

averages for waste classification.  Even if that's not the case, here,

this is a potential problem if you use such software. While rolling

averages  may be good for smoothing out random fluctuations resulting

from the imprecision of the sampling and analysis processes, it may also

mask a significant shift in the radioisotopics of plant waste streams.

This creates the potential for nonconservative characterization and

classification.

I would recommend that you:  (1) avoid using rolling averages,  (2) be

sure to investigate any scaling factor shifts of more than an order of

magnitude, and (3) consider sampling and laboratory analysis for each

batch of low volume, high specific activity waste streams, such as (for

a BWR) RWCU and FPCCU resins.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton