Re: radwaste scaling factors

Bill,

Although, your recommends are correct however are

they reasonable?

What do I mean?

I mean the TIME.

1. TIME.

Time is the money, right?

In the theory, of course we would like to have as

many as possible batches of the waste streams to

be characterized. And they are normally get

analyzed as parts of the effluents program.

In the reality, you have to use the scaling

because of the time it takes for the "Hard to

Detect" isotopes to get analyzed, some time it

takes more than a quarter to get the results in

the main time you may have to run out of the

space to keep rad waste or other operational

issues are forcing to ship the waste out...

You brought out an interesting issue.

I do not know what has exactly happend in Cooper,

I can only SPECULATE.

2. SPECULATIONS:

May be there was a falier to update radwaste

shipments/inventory in the annual reports, when

the "hard to detect radionuclides" analysis came

back from the vendor laboratory and "significant"

underestimations in the total activities were

discovered.

I do not see for the NRC resident to be so much

"unreasonable" to issue a violation for the

scaling was used because of the timing delays in

obtaining the Part 61.

Probably, there were other problems and the

official notice of violation was issued as a

notice to indicate that there were problems in

the total amounts of the activities of the

radwaste in the annual report.

Emil.

You wrote:

I would recommend that you:  (1) avoid using

rolling averages,  (2) be

sure to investigate any scaling factor shifts of

more than an order of

magnitude, and (3) consider sampling and

laboratory analysis for each

batch of low volume, high specific activity waste

streams, such as (for

a BWR) RWCU and FPCCU resins.