RE: Chemical state of Ir-192 sources

Ir-192 seeds are very small, typically 2 to 4 mm in length and less than one

mm in diameter.  Iridium melts above 2400 F and platinum above 1700 F.

Ir-192 is most frequently shipped in one of two source strength ranges -

10-12 Ci for high dose rate afterloaders or industrial radiography units and

0.3 to 0.7 mCi seeds encased in plastic ribbons for interstitial implants.

In either case the sources are packaged in a lead pig and placed in an outer

DOT Type A shipping container (typically a five gallon metal bucket).

Bulk quantities of Ir-192 (hundreds or thousands of curies) are shipped less

frequently, but the principal is the same - an inner lead shield and an

outer Type B container.

Assume a terrorist does not have access to the inner contents of these

packages.  In this case his/her only option is to place an explosive charge

on the outside surface of the package.  Exploding a few pounds of C4 would

certainly rupture the package and undoubtedly the lead pig as well.

However, the explosive force would probably not be sufficient to vaporize

the iridium pellets.  Under this scenario, the mostly like problem would be

wide spread dispersal of intact pellets and the accompanying external

radiation hazard, not inhalation of iridium oxide.

The only plausible scenario for dispersal of oxidized iridium would be if

the terrorist deliberately designed the package with the explosive in direct

contact with the seeds.  However, even this is suspect since iridium and

platinum have such high melting points.

"My opinion.  Not yours, nor theirs."

Thomas L. Morgan, PhD