        From:   Carol S. Marcus [SMTP:csmarcus@ucla.edu]
        Sent:   Saturday, 7 September 2002 8:14
        To:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
        Subject:        Chemical state of Ir-192 sources

        Dear Radsafers:

        I am interested in knowing the chemical state of Ir-192 in sealed
sources,
        and any thoughts on what would happen chemically to the Ir-192 if it
was
        exploded as a radiologic dispersion device.  I am trying to estimate

        biodistribution and kinetics if such Ir-192 were to be inhaled,
ingested,
        or introduced traumatically (e.g. contaminated shrapnel).  Anyone
having
        any information on biodistribution and kinetics is requested to
share it
        with me.

        The California Statewide Medical and Health Disaster Exercise on Nov
14th
        includes an Ir-192 RDD scenario, and I have been asked to critique
our
        Exercise Guidebook.  Ir-192 in an RDD is a reasonable scenario, and
I need
        to know this anyway.

        If, for example, the Ir-192 is chemically just solid metal, and some
of it
        is converted to insoluble oxide in the explosion, then we would
worry about
        pulmonary and pulmonary lymph node deposition.  Little would ionize
and get
        into the blood and other organs.  Ingested Ir-192 would just pass
        through.  If, on the other hand, much of it were to be in a soluble
form,
        the biodistribution and kinetics would be entirely different.

        Many thanks for any help you can give me.

        Ciao, Carol

        Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
        <csmarcus@ucla.edu>