RE: regulations

I think some of us are missing the "relativity" point here. I could build my

house on stilts in case it floods, I could build it out of concrete to

California's most stringent seismic codes--in short, I could build it to the

worst case condition imaginable, including criteria more applicable to

living next to the airport in San Diego--but I'd be losing sight of all of

those other factors that come into play. Again, to quote from the ALARA

definition in 10 CFR 835, ". . . manage and control exposures (both

individual and collective) to the work force and to the general public to as

low as is reasonable, taking into account social, technical, economic,

practical, and public policy considerations. As used in this part, ALARA is

not a dose limit but a process. . . ." We tend to the extreme when we lose

sight of any one of those elements, whether pro or con.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer