Re: Fw: Glass-Based Radon Measurements

Kai and Radsafers,

I, too, have trouble understanding the permutations of case control studies and

radon variability, glass -based measures, etc.

Looking at the larger picture helps me fit them into the puzzle. In Iowa

(Field), the lesser radon (c4ppCi/L) of controls  than cases of lung cancer

(c5pCi/L) in that 1% highest USA radon location, fits the larger picture of a

"U" curve. The usual USA radon doses (Cohen) are much lower (mean 1.3pCi/L). The

less the radon, the higher lung cancer mortality rates (with or without

smoking).

Both Field and Cohen could be correct about the effect of radon on lung cancer -

Field that, generally, less radon in homes would be better in Iowa and Cohen

that, generally, more radon in homes would be better for 90% of the USA.

Howard Long