Re: GAO Opens DB Investigation (correction)

I think the point is clear - a "hole" is a penetration and a "cavity" is

not.  In this case "cavity" is a more correct term.  That is exactly

what he said - I don't see the issue.

As to the second part - that is how you may characterize it.  I'd say it

was an excellent example of the "protection in depth" engineering that

is applied to nuclear facilities such that despite the operational

errors an accident DID NOT HAPPEN.  Certainly the stainless steel inside

liner was not specified as thick as it was just because that was the

size stock that happened to be "on sale" at the time it was built.

How "near" a LOCA may or may not have been is certainly a topic for

protracted discussion or debate. The FACT is it DID NOT Happen and I say

that the engineering is consistent and predictable enough that if the

same sequence of events happened again that the same thing would not

happen.

This wasn't just "dumb luck"!